Sunday, March 31, 2013

Bald Eagle Nest and Update

So, Saturday I headed out to Orr Road in Ross County, Ohio, to check out the local Bald Eagle nest. I'm not exactly sure how old it is, but I do know this nest site is at least a few years old. NOTE: If you go to see this nest site, notice it is on PRIVATE PROPERTY, and you should never leave your car. Not only is it illegal to get closer, it also causes the eagles unnecessary stress, and I don't have to point out what that could do.

We traveled on down the road, constantly scanning the tree line for a giant nest. Finally, I spotted it off in the distance along the Scioto River (which Orr Road travels along at some parts).

Pulling up, we were greeted with this:


Obviously an eagle nest. The thing is massive! But it was pushing the range of my measly 200mm lens, so let's see if we can zoom in without too bad of a result...

Not the best quality, but you get the point. You can see a Bald Eagle sitting on the nest. The mate was just off screen a few trees over. I couldn't get any awesome photos, so this will have to do for now. The nest was right along the Scioto River which offers these eagles plentiful and easily-caught food. And if that isn't enough, Bald Eagle hunting ranges very from 1,700 to 10,000 acres. There are tons of lakes, ponds, and so on within that range, so these guys are set.

On another note, Spring is finally coming... I think. The recent weather has thrown everyone for a loop.

Regardless, as of Tuesday morning, I'll be in sunny Florida! The Circleville Marching Band, of which I am a mellophone player, is going down to perform at EPCOT and just generally enjoy Disney World. I might have a small post on anything interesting I see there, but I'm not sure. I want this to stay Ohio oriented, but... I don't know. I guess we will see. Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment